Botox Pre & Post Treatment
Please find below the pre/post treatment instructions regarding your upcoming appointment with us. If you have any questions, feel free to email or call.
Understand that any type of injection increases the risk of bruising, bleeding, and/ or swelling to the area treated that may take anywhere from 2-14 days until symptoms disappear. Taking certain precautionary measures can decrease the risks of these symptoms happening to you, but are not a guarantee. Please read the following tips we have provided and consider them when scheduling your treatment.
In order to minimize the risk of possible side effects and complications of injections please follow these simple steps:
- Do NOT consume alcoholic beverages at least 24 hours prior to treatment (alcohol may thin the blood and increase the risk of bruising)
- Avoid anti-inflammatory/blood thinning medications, if possible, for a period of 2 weeks before treatment. Medications and supplements such as aspirin, vitamin E, ginkgo biloba, ginseng, St. John’s Wort, Omega 3/Fish Oil supplements, Ibuprofen, Motrin, Advil, Aleve and other NSAIDS have a blood thinning effect and can increase the risk of bruising and swelling after injections.
- Schedule your appointment at least 2 weeks prior to a special event which you may be attending, such as a wedding or a vacation. Results from the injections will take approximately 4 to 7 days to appear. Also bruising and swelling may be apparent in that time period.
- You are not a candidate if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Do NOT manipulate the treated area for 3 hours following treatment. Do NOT receive facial/laser treatments or microdermabrasion after injections for at least 10 days. Ask your provider if you are not sure about the time frame of certain services.
- Do NOT lie down for 4 hours after your treatment. This will prevent the Botox from tracking into the orbit of your eye and causing drooping eyelid.
- It can take approximately 4 to 7 days for results to be seen. If the desired result is not seen after 2 weeks of your treatment you may need additional Botox. You are charged for the amount of product used. Therefore, you will be charged for the product used during any touch-up or subsequent appointments.
- Do NOT perform activities involving straining, heavy lifting, or vigorous exercise for 6 hours after treatment. This will keep the Botox in the injected area and not elsewhere.
- Avoid extensive sun or heat for 72 hours.
- Avoid consuming excess amounts of alcohol or salts to avoid excess swelling.
- If you have swelling you may apply a cool compress for 15 minutes each hour.
- Use Tylenol for discomfort.
- Try to sleep face up and slightly elevated if you experience swelling.
- Take Arnica to help the bruising and swelling, start at least 2 days prior to injections.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.
Dr. Mark and the YOUnique Team
MEET OUR DOCTOR
Dr. Mark Youssef