IPL Photofacial Pre & Post Treatment
Please find below the pre/post treatment instructions regarding your upcoming appointment with us. If you have any questions, feel free to email or call.
- No Accutane use for 6 months prior to treatment.
- Do not tan the areas being treated for 4 weeks prior to treatment.
- Do not use self-tanning products for 2 weeks prior to treatment.
- Stop all Retin-A, Retinol, Renova, glycolics, bleaching creams, and exfoliants 3-4 days prior to treatment.
- The treatment area must be free of any open sores, lesions or skin infections. For treatment of pigmented skin lesions, you should consult a specialist if there is a family or personal history of skin cancer or if you have these concerns.
- Shave any hair present in the area to be treated. Men should shave the beard area twice in succession in order to ensure as close a shave as possible.
- If possible, come to your appointment with a fresh face, no makeup.
- If you have elected to use a topical anesthetic, arrive 30 minutes before your scheduled apt to numb in our office.
- You cannot be pregnant or breast feeding to receive treatment.
- If you have a history of oral herpes, you must pre-treat with an anti-viral three days before your scheduled visit.
- You will have a mild sunburn sensation following treatment that is usually gone within a few hours. Skin redness, flaking, mild bruising and/or slight edema (swelling) is normal and may last a few days. Blistering is uncommon and when it occurs it is generally not serious. Pigmented areas may begin to flake after a few days.
- Cold compresses (notice) and recommended skin care products may be useful to reduce swelling or discomfort. You may takeover-the-counter pain or anti-inflammatory medication. Hydrocortisone(steroid) cream may decrease any itching or skin irritation. Antibiotic ointment (such as Neosporin) may be used if skin is broken, to prevent infection.
- Your skin will be fragile for 2-3 days. Use gentle cleansers, but do not rub the skin vigorously and avoid hot water during this time. Skin moisturizers may be used immediately and makeup can be applied if the skin is not broken.
- It is important to avoid sun exposure and tanning creams between treatments. Use SPF 30 or greater on the treatment area at all times.
- The treatment area may be left open and uncovered. Do not scrub or exfoliate the area. Do not use any products on the treated area without first consulting our staff.
- Avoid soaking for 24 to 48 hours. No hot tubs, whirlpools or baths, but showers are okay.
- Avoid excessive sweating for 24 to 48 hours. No saunas or vigorous working out.
- Avoid irritants, such Retin-A, Retinol, Renova, glycolics, bleaching creams, and exfoliants for one week.
- Treated area will usually darken after treatments. Crusting of the skin can form. This crusting usually resolves in 1 to 3 weeks. Please allow to naturally flake off for best results.
- In the rare case that you experience any blistering or scabbing, please call us as soon as possible. Contact us if you experience persistent or unusual redness, swelling or drainage, as antibiotics may be necessary.
- Do not apply makeup until redness has subsided.
- Avoid microdermabrasion and chemical peels one week after your treatment.
- Follow up treatments should be scheduled every 3-4 weeks.
- Consistent repeated treatments will produce best resolution for photo damage, fine lines, acne scars, rosacea, etc.
- Microdermabrasion and Vitalize Peel should be done in between your IPL and Laser Genesis treatments to enhance results.
Dr. Mark and the YOUnique Team
MEET OUR DOCTOR
Dr. Mark Youssef