Laser Hair Removal Pre & Post Treatment
Please find below the pre/post treatment instructions regarding your upcoming appointment with us. If you have any questions, feel free to email or call.
- The area to be treated must be clean-shaven. Unshaven clients will be rescheduled.
- Avoid UV exposure 7 days prior to your treatment.
- Clients who are sunburned or tanned must wait 2 weeks before being treated to avoid additional skin damage.
- Avoid sunless tanning products 7 days prior to your treatment. It is recommended that you exfoliate the area to remove any residual color.
- If applicable, apply numbing cream 30 to 40 minutes prior to your treatment. All products must be completely removed prior to treatment.
- Clients should come to appointments with clean skin in the area to be treated. All clients who are treating any part of their face or neck will be required to cleanse their entire face in the clinic.
- Avoid chemical peels and other laser procedures in the area to be treated for 2 weeks prior and two weeks after your laser treatment.
- Avoid all alpha hydroxy and beta hydroxyl products (AHA/BHA), hydroquinone, retinols/retinoid, Tazorac, and Differin for 7 days before treatment.
- Clients with any abnormal lesions, moles or spots on the area to be treated must be cleared by a medical practitioner prior to treatment.
- Clients must stop waxing, tweezing and chemical epilation 3 weeks prior to treatment.
- If you are prone to cold sores, it is highly recommended to take an anti-viral medication (such as Valtrex) prior to your treatment. Clients with active cold sores will not be treated.
- Clients who have used Accutane or similar products within the last 6 months CANNOT have laser hair removal treatments.
- Client should not perform any physical activity that increases body temperature or blood pressure within 2 hours before and after treatments.
- If you have Botox or dermal fillers in the area to be treated, wait 14 days both before and after injection to receive treatments.
- Antibiotics may increase photosensitivity. We recommend that you check with your personal physician prior to receiving laser treatments if you are taking a long-term antibiotic. If you become ill and begin taking an antibiotic, you will need to be off the medication for 7 days before laser treatment.
- Boots may not be worn immediately after leg treatments.
What to Expect From your Treatment
- Clients with red, grey or blonde hair in the area to be treated should consult with a provider prior to receiving treatments, as the laser is less effective on these hair colors.
- During your treatment you can expect slight discomfort, similar to a rubber-band snap on your skin. An over the counter numbing cream is available for purchase. Consult your provider with questions.
- You may experience slight redness, bumps, and swelling in the treated area for up to 72 hours. If these conditions persist, topical creams such as aloe, calamine or hydrocortisone may be applied.
- Allow a minimum of 7 to 14 days post treatment for hair to “fall out” or shed from the skin.
- On average, clients experience up to 30% reduction after each treatment.
- Avoid extended UV exposure for 7 days post-treatment.
- If blisters occur, do not puncture. If skin is broken, apply an antibiotic ointment until healed.
- Tylenol is recommended for post-treatment discomfort.
- Over the counter medication is recommended for post treatment discomfort. You may also apply Restorative Gel (highest recommended), cool towels, ice packs or aloe vera to alleviate discomfort due to heat.
- Avoid using seat warmers immediately after treatment.
- Avoid any additional laser treatments or chemical procedures on the treated area for at least 2 weeks post-treatment or until healing has occurred.
- Using a broad spectrum UVA/UVB SPF 30 or higher is critical when receiving laser treatments and is recommended ongoing for maintenance.
- If you experience any side effects, such as hypo- or hyper-pigmentation, prolonged redness or swelling, a histamine reaction, or blistering, call or come in for instructions on treatment.
- To achieve the best results, complete the full treatment schedule at the intervals recommended by your provider
- Exfoliate treated areas to minimize risk of ingrown hairs.
- Follow up treatments should be scheduled every 4-6 weeks.
- Consistent repeated treatments will produce best results.
Dr. Mark and the YOUnique TeamYounique > Santa Monica Med Spa & Cosmetic Surgery > Laser Hair Removal In Santa Monica >