Brazilian Butt Lift Recovery Process
Medically Reviewed by
The recovery after a Brazilian Buttock lift generally takes 3-4 weeks before feeling back to normal. From the time of consultation to surgery generally takes about 1-2 months.
The BBL recovery timeline is as follows:
- Return to work: 1-2 weeks after surgery
- Full Recovery & Post-Operative Consultation: 3-4 weeks after surgery
- Return to exercise: around 8 weeks post-surgery
Learn the BBL Recovery Period from an MD
As Featured In
Recovery After Brazilian Butt Lift
There’s a several week surgery recovery period (typically around 3-4 weeks), but many patients feel like they can go back to work within a week.
BBL Recovery Timeline
- Pre-Operative Consultation: 1-hour consultation
- BBL Surgery: 2-3 hours of surgery
- The pre-operative surgery time itself lasts about 2-3 hours depending on the amount of liposuction needed.
- Return to work: 1-2 weeks post-surgery
- Full Recovery: 3-4 weeks post-surgery (until you will be seen for a post-operative consultation)
- Return to exercise: around 8 weeks after surgery
How Fast Can I Recover & Return to Work?
BBL Recovery Process & Timeline
Would You Like To Speak with A BBL Doctor?
Each year, Dr. Mark Youssef sees an increased number of pateints that visit his office for a Brazilian Butt Lift, as a way to celebrate the bodies they live in. They embrace their opportunity to choose what nature did not bestow. This is happening in his office and in offices all around the world as the BBL gains in popularity every year.
Dr. Mark Youssef is author of book “The Art of the Brazilian Butt Lift: Evolve Your Beauty, Empower Your Life” and is a highly renowned expert BBL surgeon of Los Angeles. If you’d like to schedule a surgery with him, you may do so by completing a form on our Brazilian Butt Lift Los Angeles page.
Jump to Dr. Youssef’s post-operative advice:
How long will it take to recover after the BBL is performed?
Recovery time is about four weeks, with most patients being cleared to go back to work within 1-2 weeks after surgery.
How long before I can sit after the BBL procedure?
A typical patient is advised to avoid sitting for the first 3-4 weeks after surgery, and only when necessary though the 4th week. Placing too much pressure on the graft can cause you to lose volume because the cells will die more rapidly.
BBL Recovery Tips
- It is highly recommended, even required to have someone accommodate you for the first twenty-four hours post-surgery.
- Ideally, you will have a caretaker with you for the first week, as you will likely be taking prescription pain medications and unable to drive.
- Try to completely avoid sitting or laying on the fat graft site for the first three weeks after the surgery, and only when necessary through the fourth week. When you have to sit, use a Boppy pillow to help reduce the pressure on the site.
- Wearing the right garments
- Feed the fat
- Creative sleeping
- No driving
- Sit on your thighs
- No smoking
- Exercise starting around week 8
- PRP/Stem Cells
- Stay Hydrated
- Keep a stable weight
Read more about how to maximize BBL results.
The BBL is the safest way to cosmetically alter the shape of your butt because you are using your own fat to do so, as opposed to introducing foreign materials into the body to get the look you want.
A Brazilian butt-lift has very very minimal scars. Essentially, scarring only takes place at the entry points from where we insert the fat cells. A typical Brazilian butt-lift scar is smaller than a staple punch.
A Brazilian butt-lift has its share of post-operative pain just like any other surgery.
Soreness is probably the most common feeling people have. Patients describe this pain as a muscular soreness in the buttocks where they’ll feel the most discomfort when sitting.
However, just like any other surgery, we do offer pain pills and certain types of comfort measures to make the pain as easy as possible.
Although it’s considered the safest way to alter the shape of your butt cosmetically, there are still some risks involved because it is an invasive surgery that requires anesthesia. There is a small risk for infection, hematoma and seroma formation, but these risks are greatly reduced as you follow the thorough post-op instructions provided.
Do You Still Have Questions?
Speak with Dr. Youssef today about any questions you may have about the recovery process. Ask any question you may have; we’d be happy to help!
The Brazilian Butt Lift pillow is a post-operative product designed to relieve pressure from the buttock and move/apply pressure to the thighs. Dr. Mark Youssef will provide this product if a patient does not have one.
After a Brazilian Butt Lift surgery, patients will be provided with the following:
It is recommended to not engage in any sort of exercise immediately after the surgery as it can harm the new fat. Many patients often ask us the following BBL exercise questions.
What is the best bbl workout?
Are there any special squatting techniques?
Is there a way to massage after my surgery?
What is the best way to diet after a BBL?
Learn more about the best exercises after a BBL here!